Monday, August 25, 2014

Recipe: This stuff is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Are you experiencing a throwback to Gwen Stefani right now?  I've been jamming out to that song all morning as I whipped up a batch of banana pecan muffins- to clarify, the to-die-for banana pecan muffins.  

I don't mean to toot my own horn but...eh who am I kidding?  These things will rock your world if you are a banana nut nut.  So toot toot!  These deserve the horn.



There are three flavors that always remind me of fall- pumpkin spice, apple cinnamon, and banana bread.  There's nothing like having a warm banana pecan muffin on a crisp fall morning. Mmmmm.  And I'm so ready to start seeing the leaves turn all of those brilliant shades already.


I love making banana bread whenever we end up with a few bananas that got too ripe before we could eat them.  This is always my solution.  It's all for the sake of waste prevention. ;)  (Do you believe that excuse?  Yeah, me neither.)

I've made banana bread countless times and after lots of tweaking over the years, this is the winning recipe.

Ingredients: (Yields 12 muffins)
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large bananas, mashed (It's best to use ones that are overripe.)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts if you prefer)
Cinnamon sugar to taste (for on top of muffins)

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.  

2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl and set aside.

3.  In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and butter.  

4.  Fold in dry ingredients previously mixed.  Combine them just enough so dry ingredients are no longer visible. (Don't worry about lumps. Too much mixing = dry muffins) Fold in nuts last.

5.  Pour batter into a greased 12-cup muffin tin.  Bake 25-30 minutes.

6.  Serve warm with a little butter and enjoy!

Since I'm currently back on my Paleo diet (after eating really badly all summer), I split a muffin with little miss Olivia, which she after devoured one more, and I sent the rest of the dozen with Robert to work for his office friends to enjoy.  These were definitely worth the half-muffin cheat though. :)  And Robert reported back that they were a huge hit.  I'm so glad I got them out of my house before the little voice in my head could convince me to eat the entire batch.  I totally would.

If you like this post, check out my other recipes.  I hope to be back with more soon!  But we usually eat the final results before I can snap a photo.  #Foodieproblems?

Use up those last summer tomatoes! (Click the image to get the recipe.)



And Labor Day is just a week away!  You might need this one.



Have a great week, y'all!

Blessings,


Follow me on

Or find me on 
           

3 comments: